[gdal-dev] gdalbuildvrt, gdal_translate, and MODIS HDF files

Jose Gomez-Dans jgomezdans at gmail.com
Tue May 3 09:34:16 EDT 2011

Hi,

> > > I have recently come across the mosaicking magic that is 1) build a
vrt
> > > usin gdalbuildvrt and then 2) gdal_translate the vrt to whatever
format
> > > I want -- I'm noticing this is a crazy-fast way to do mosaicking
> > > compared

I had a similar question on this a while ago, and one thing you have to be
wary about is that the HDF libraries usually have a finite number of HDF
files open simultaneously (see <http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/HDF>). If
you plan on using more than (say) 32 files simultaneously, you'll need to
recompile the HDF library.

Jose