[gdal-dev] python memory driver

Juliannerc juliannerc at gmail.com
Wed May 4 17:33:02 EDT 2011

I have been working with the examples/testers from

# Project:  GDAL/OGR Test Suite
# Purpose:  Test RasterizeLayer() and related calls.
# Author:   Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com>

If at all possible, I would like to be able to use the memory raster
contents directly.  However, if I understand the code, the image is written
in a more concrete format (gtiff, etc.) to the file system.  The image can
then by read back using the ReadAsArray method.

The intended use is for display (e.g., 1000 x 1600) rather than fine grained
printing.  Also, if the memory area is more accessible, it might be possible
to manage the application as a series of images, keeping more static ones
unchanged, while updating dynamic parts, with the display being a merge of
the two.

gdal and ogr are nearly ideal for the application (generating georeferenced
images, lines, etc.).  Are there examples of how operate without the file
write or is this a feature that could be added?

Regards,

Julianne