[gdal-dev] RFC 35: Delete, reorder and alter field definitions of OGR layers - Call for discussion

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sat May 7 18:37:51 EDT 2011

On 11-05-07 01:16 PM, Even Rouault wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've written a new RFC to add the capability to delete fields, reorder fields
> and alter field definitions, in OGR layer definitions.
>
> 	http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/rfc35_deletereorderalterfielddefn
>
> Currently, an OGR layer definition can only be altered to add a new field
> definition with OGRLayer::CreateField(). It is desirable to extend OGR
> capabilities to be able to delete, reorder and alter field definitions of
> existing layers. Such wish has been expressed in ticket #2671 and comes back
> regularly on QGIS mailing list (e.g. http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-
> user/2011-May/011935.html). QGIS currently has a "Table Manager" extension to
> work around the lack of DeleteField(), so a proper solution is clearly needed.

Even,

I would like to see some description of the effect of ReorderField().  I
assume iOldFieldPos and iNewFieldPos have to both be existing fields, and
that intermediate fields will be shuffled along as needed to satisfy the
request - is that right?

I am somewhat wondering if it would be better to provide a mechanism
to reorder all columns in one request.

Otherwise I am satisfied with the suggested approach.