[gdal-dev] Re: How to get the ENVISAT N1 Main Processing parameters

Knut-Frode Dagestad knutfrodesoppel at hotmail.com
Mon May 16 03:39:30 EDT 2011

Hi RSyaoxin and Antonio,

I share your interest in these metadata. In addition to the MPH and SPH
metadata in ASCII-format, Envisat files contain a lot of metadata in
binary form, e.g. for ASAR:
http://envisat.esa.int/handbooks/asar/CNTR6-6.htm#eph.asar.asardf.asarrec

It would probably be too much to ask for the GDAL Envisat driver to
import all of this. However, there are some missing metadata which are
of special importance:

- the calibration factors, which RSyaoxin mentions
- the incidence angles:
http://envisat.esa.int/handbooks/asar/CNTR6-6-9.htm#eph.asar.asardf.asarrec.ASAR_Geo_Grid_ADSR

Both of this is necessary to be able to calibrate the data, and hence to
be able to make any geophysical calculations from them.
It would be really nice if the GDAL Envisat driver could be updated to
read this as well, and most users would not need to rely on (or create)
external software.

The incidence angles are stored in a small grid at the same size as the
GCP´s, (order of 100 elements), which does not fit very nicely into the
GDAL datamodel - it would probably have to be stored as a list of
metadata strings.

Best regards from Knut-Frode