[gdal-dev] Re: How to get the ENVISAT N1 Main Processing parameters

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon May 16 12:38:54 EDT 2011

On 11-05-16 12:30 PM, Antonio Valentino wrote:
> An alternative solution is to write from scratch the routines for
> decoding of ENVISAT records but this is would require a larger effort.
>
> Again I could try to do it but I would like to receive some sign of
> interest in this feature from GDAL developers before starting to code.

Antonio,

I am reasonably willing to incorporate improvements into this driver
if you submit them via ticket as diffs against trunk.

>> The incidence angles are stored in a small grid at the same size as
>> the GCP´s, (order of 100 elements), which does not fit very nicely
>> into the GDAL datamodel - it would probably have to be stored as a
>> list of metadata strings.
>>
>> Best regards from Knut-Frode
>>

> Yes, it is indeed a problem. My feeling is that the currant trend is
> keeping metadata as flat and simple as possible.

Note, if there is metadata that seems pretty bulky to put in the default
metadata domain, it may make sense to put it in a special metadata
domain.  That way it isn't always showing up in gdalinfo reports, and
doesn't get carried along into other formats unnecessarily.