[gdal-dev] Re: Wiki page about CMake for GDAL

Mateusz Łoskot mateusz at loskot.net
Thu Nov 3 20:48:19 EDT 2011

2011/11/3 Jayesh Chaudhary <aashishcy at gmail.com>:

>> > Also as far as dependencies of GDAL driver's  are concerned,  we can
>> > probably manage them using CMake superbuild support.
>>
>> I have never heard of CMake superbuild support.
>> Where can I learn more?
>
> This is a very good question. Actually I realized that not much information
> is posted on the cmake documentation. I will talk to CMake lead and find
> some good reference. There are projects out there (like ParaView) that uses
> superbuild but I will see if I can post a simple example of it. I have been
> using this feature now for a about year or so.

Great, looking forward to learning about it.
I guess it may be off-topic on gdal-dev, so please push any links to
me on mateusz at loskot.net.

>> > Also I wanted to point out that, I had started cmake port of gdal last
>> > year which is based on your work:
>> > https://gitorious.org/cmake-gdal
>>
>> I see. I have seen this repo and I was wondering what is this about.
>
> Now you know -:) Actually we have been using this port for a different
> project. I know that 2-3 people contacted me and now using it as well.
> [...]
> Sure, we have been using this port of boost for some of our big projects.
> [...]
> Yes, boost developers visited Kitware I believe last year.

This is the experience I have mentioned in my previous
messages that I believe would be extremely useful here.

> Said that, what would be our next step?

Given the experience you have at Kitware with big CMake-driven projects,
it would be very useful if you can evaluate for example Boost CMake.
Is this a good piece of CMake configuration?
What are its weaknesses?
If we need to discuss it, then I'd suggest to do it outside gdal-dev
list to avoid off-topic here.

Next, I will ask GDAL PSC for permission to create sandbox repository for us.
I think it would be good to host it in GDAL's spike, e.g.

http://svn.osgeo.org/gdal/spike/cmake

or may be as an official branch in

http://svn.osgeo.org/gdal/branches/cmake

You will have to obtain access to SVN too.
Once we have the home ready, we start scripting.

> Should we start from scratch?

I think we start from scratch anyway.
Previous gdal-cmake attempt would not be a good foundation.

> I would like to get it started as soon as possible.

Sure, here we come.

Member of ACCU, http://accu.org