[gdal-dev] JP2KAK Resilience Mode

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Nov 7 13:44:55 EST 2011

Folks,

If you never use the JP2KAK driver you can stop reading now.

>From time to time over the years I and others have had problems
reading some JPEG2000 files with the JP2KAK driver.  In some cases
the same files would work fine with the JP2ECW driver or with other
JPEG2000 products.  This issue came up again for me, and I took
some time to dive deep into the jpeg2000 code stream and the Kakadu
code, and I think I have come up with a useful improvement.

The change (in trunk) is to force sequential, non-persistant
resilient mode if the JP2KAK_RESILIENT config option is set
to TRUE.  This is an extension to the previous meaning of this
option.  In the past it just forced resilient mode but it turns out
this wasn't enough for many problems.

So, if you have JPEG2000 files that did not work with JP2KAK
in the past, I'd appreciate your trying them again with trunk, something
like:

  gdal_translate --config JP2KAK_RESILIENT YES your_problem.jp2 out.tif

Please note success or failure in:

  http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/4336

I'm open to the possibility of backporting this change to 1.8.