[gdal-dev] Aster tif files to hgt

Scott Arko saarko at alaska.edu
Tue Nov 8 12:43:37 EST 2011

Hello Mira,

The error you are getting is because for the SRTM height format you need to
have very specific coordinates for the tiles.  I'm not sure I can exactly
explain why this is, but you need to have 1201x1201 for the 1 degree tiles.
 Also, you need to use the -projwin option to have the corners line up
properly.  Here is a command I used to generate 1 degree tiles for a
similar problem as yours (i.e. taking another format DEM and making it look
like SRTM)

gdal_translate -of SRTMHGT -projwin 72 30 73.000139 28.9998611
SRTM_30m_ELLIPSOID_HGT_EXPANDED_MOSAIC_GEO N29E072.hgt

You can see that the LR corner extends past 73/29 by one half an arc-second
(.000139 degrees).  This worked for my application and properly formatted
the tiles.  Hope this helps you sort out your problem.

Thanks,
Scott

--
Scott Arko
Alaska Satellite Facility Deputy Director

903 Koyukuk Drive
Fairbanks, AK 99775
Phone: (907) 474 - 5570
email:  saarko at alaska.edu