[gdal-dev] Re: Strange behavior of gdalwarp with -overwrite option

Hermann Peifer peifer at gmx.eu
Wed Nov 9 03:18:50 EST 2011

On 08/11/2011 20:28, Even Rouault wrote:

> gdalwarp something.tif something.tif -t_srs EPSG:XXXX makes no sense...

Indeed: typing 'something.tif' twice should not be necessary. But the
following could theoretically make sense (in analogy to GNU sed's
-i/--in-place switch (which creates a temporary file and later
*overwrites* the original file):

gdalwarp -i something.tif -t_srs EPSG:XXXX

However, as one hardly get things right in the first run: there is a
good chance that the result is not what you want -- and the original
file is gone :-(. At least this happens to me whenever I use sed's -i
switch. So I wouldn't see a need for introducing this behaviour in GDAL
command line utilitiies.

Hermann