[gdal-dev] Re: OGR Driver for Norwegian SOSI standard

relet thomas.hirsch at statkart.no
Thu Nov 17 08:24:01 EST 2011

Thank you Even,

I would want to try and go for the second option.
My motivation is mainly that a majority of users will be using packaged
software like osgeo4w or qgis - if SOSI support is enabled by default, it
would be available in these packages.
My main question is in how far the included code has to follow RFC 8. It
would be quite a task to make it follow the gdal-Hungarian prefix dialect,
or even to translate variables and method names to plain English.

You said,

Even Rouault wrote:

> I'm now convinced that including this code in GDAL would require
> discussion and agreement of the PSC. It is obvious that no-one apart you
> or your team would be able to maintain it, so I think that it would
> require you to be a GDAL commiter to do the integration and maintenance
> work. Perhaps in a first step, it could be done in a sandbox.

I think the sandbox is a good approach. I understand the terms of RFC 3 and
RFC 8, but I'm not too familiar with the sum of community guidelines around
gdal. I hope not to remain the only maintainer, but in order to achieve
that, the driver has to become more available and create a user/developer
base.
(The users exist, but they are currently used to convert SOSI to Shape files
using commercial tools before further processing, losing most of the
metadata that is available in the original format.)