[gdal-dev] Compile GDAL for x86 on an x64 machine

Martin Chapman chapmanm at pixia.com
Sat Nov 26 19:07:11 EST 2011

All,

I am using a Windows 7 x64 machine with VS 2010 with both x86 and x64
compile tools.  When I try to build gdal for x64 using the make file from
the Win64 command prompt and WIN64 = YES in the nmake.opt file everything
compiles fine.  (using gdal 181 by the way).  If I try to compile it for
x86 using the Win86 command prompt and comment out WIN64 in nmake.opt file
I always get a linker error where the compiler complains that the target
machine doesn't match.  I haven't tried this on my Linux box but now I'm
wondering if I am going to have the same issue there as well.

My question is:  Why can't I compile gdal for x86 on my x64 box?  Am I
missing something stupid?  Do you think it's my environment?  Is it
supposed to work?  Has anyone else tried to do this?  I think I've done
this before with other versions but maybe I am mistaken.

On another note.  It would be awesome to have gdal use cmake.  Just a
thought.

Best regards,

Martin