[gdal-dev] Resquest for comments (RFC 36)

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Mon Oct 3 22:52:09 EDT 2011

On 11-10-03 10:04 PM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> I believe that is because it is hard to know if HFA:test.tif was really
> something other than a request for the HFA driver.  It could actually
> be a file named "HFA:test.tif" or it could be that another driver happens
> to use the HFA: prefix to mean something.   I believe this is an
> effort to avoid failure in these cases.

Um... the best I can say then is -0 in the hope that we can find a
better delimiter or syntax. Unfortunately I just can't come up with a
better option at the moment.

> I'm not convinced that this is necessary.  I have had a hope for
> some time to provide a standard way of binding up open options,
> including the driver name, for OGR as demonstrated by a
> request like:
>
>    @driver=ingres,dbname=test

Unfortunately "@driver=ingres,dbname=test.tif" is also a valid filename,
so we'd have the same problem as with "HFA:test.tif" above.

I also think it is important to be consistent between GDAL and OGR for
something like this.

Once again, I'm not trying to kill the idea, just pointing the flaws in
the hope that the someone in the group will find a more predictable
mechanism.

--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/