[gdal-dev] Resquest for comments (RFC 36)

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Tue Oct 4 14:06:45 EDT 2011

On 11-10-04 10:56 AM, Chris 'Xenon' Hanson wrote:

>    My suggestion would be to look for a token that is NOT valid in a conventional
> file-path-name/URL/URI. I would also possibly place that token in the FIRST string
> character location for fast detection of this special condition without having to search
> the whole beginning of the string. For example, if it was decided that '@' was not a valid
> token otherwise, the string would be more like:
>
> "@hfa:example_file.img"
>
>    While in theory all token values are available for use in all URIs, in practice, I
> suspect there is an exotic character (like 0x01 or 0x7f or 0xff) that could be safely
> reserved for this use without affecting any known protocols or URIs.

[...]

On 11-10-04 09:58 AM, Ivan Lucena wrote:
> It could like that, I guess:
>
> $ gdalinfo driver=gtiff,landsat1.tif
> $ gdalinfo driver=gtiff,gtiff_raw:landsat1.tif
>
> It is not very user friendly (just because it requires more writing) but the intention is to be script-friendly and app-friendly anyway. Right?

I don't think this would be useful only in scripts.

I think we want a syntax that can easily be entered by a user at the
command line, or in the text field of a desktop or web user interface.
That definitely rules out exotic characters, and ideally we'd lean
towards a simpler syntax.

--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/