[gdal-dev] Resquest for comments (RFC 36)

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Tue Oct 4 15:32:57 EDT 2011

> Yes, my intention was to regularize how connection strings are done.
> So if applied to the postgres driver we would have stuff like:
>
>   @driver=pg,host=localhost,password=tiger,dbname=ottawa
>
> What I don't like now is that the connection string parsing,
> quoting, etc is handled differently in the different DB drivers.

Yes, and actually the example I randomly picked up is a bit special, because
the connection string of the PG driver is something directly passed to the
PQconnectdb() call. Except that we have extended its syntax to also accomodate
OGR specific options, like schemas, active_schema and tables, that we strip off
from the connection string before passing it to PQconnectdb().

Of course, we could normalize the way to pass the options, and rebuild the
connection string as expected by libpq.