[gdal-dev] sandbox access for non-commiters

Antonio Valentino antonio.valentino at tiscali.it
Thu Oct 6 02:50:38 EDT 2011

Hi Frank, hi Etienne,

Il giorno Wed, 5 Oct 2011 13:55:01 -0700
Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> ha scritto:

> On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 1:28 PM, Etienne Tourigny
> <etourigny.dev at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I was wondering what is the policy regarding access to the svn
> > sandbox directories.  Can osgeo id's which are not commiters to
> > gdal be granted access to a directory within the sandbox svn (or
> > just the sandbox directory in general)?
> >
> > I have not found any information on the gdal wiki, but there is some
> > info on openlayers here:
> > http://trac.osgeo.org/openlayers/wiki/FrequentlyAskedQuestions#HowdoIcreatemyownsandboxintheSVNrepository
> > It says that one can be granted access to the sandbox for a project
> > by someone who is already authorized for that sandbox.
> >
> > I am asking this because I am working on netcdf improvements with a
> > contributor (Patrick) and we share our code on Github, but it would
> > be nice to be able to work in a sandbox in the osgeo svn.
>
> Etienne,
>
> Technically anyone in the gdal sandbox svn group can grant
> membership in it, but it does not seem that we passed any
> RFC or motion addressing how we want this handled.  Our
> practice appears to be that the sandbox is primary a play area
> for commiters rather than a work area for non-commiters.  The
> only non-commiter in the sandbox is Chris Schmidt.
>
> In the absence of a clear policy I'm willing to add Patrick
> in the sandbox area as long as you can provide me his
> OSGeo userid.  I'll also try to bring forward an RFC update
> regularizing this.
>
> Best regards,

IMHO it would be a very interesting solution to use GitHub (or any
other hosting site for DVCS) for GDAL contributors.
I have a relatively short experience with GitHub but I found it very
handy, specially for tracking feature branches and merging (even large)
patches.
Also, there is the possibility to put comments directly on code.

I don't know if the topic of using a DVCS for GDAL has already been
discussed in the past and, probably, it is not convenient to move GDAL
itself on a DVCS.

Anyway I think that the possibility of maintaining an official mirror
of GDAL on a Git or Mercurial repository should be considered and
contributors should be encouraged to use it.

Here it is an unofficial mirror

https://github.com/mloskot/gdal

and a wiki page about the topic on the GDAL trac

http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/UsingGitToMaintainGDALWorkflow

regards

--
Antonio Valentino