[gdal-dev] sandbox access for non-commiters

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Thu Oct 6 15:56:54 EDT 2011

On 06/10/11 20:45, Etienne Tourigny wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 4:38 PM, Mateusz Loskot <mateusz at loskot.net> wrote:
>> On 06/10/11 20:26, Etienne Tourigny wrote:
>>>
>>> Is it possible as a commiter to use a single local git repository that
>>> can be used for both the official svn (for commits) and also in github
>>> (to interact with other contributors)?
>>> From your instructions it looks doable, but can you push and pull to
>>> the github repos, and then commit changes back to gdal svn?
>>
>> It is possible to have stream data in both directions, from and to svn,
>> so to push changes back from git and svn. However, I don't do that.
>> AFAIK, the process is fragile.
>
> Mat, your instructions seem to indicate that it is possible.  How
> fragile is it, and do you know any source of documentation I can look
> into for that?

I don't know how fragile it is as I haven't worked according to this
workflow. I only copied what I have learned from reading various
resources. However, I call it fragile, because to use git svn safely in
workflow that synchronises projects in both ways, in-depth understanding
of SVN and Git is necessary, IMHO. Especially understanding of Git
because Git is such a powerful tool that it is possible to do things in
many ways.
Otherwise, it is easy to break things.

Here are the two resources I can recommend:

http://learn.github.com/p/git-svn.html

http://progit.org/book/ch8-1.html

If you look at the last sections of both, it is "Rules and Guidelines"
and "Git-Svn Summary", you will notice quite a number of "health and
safety" rules included in those fairly short paragraphs.
This tells me, it is easy to blow things up.

Member of ACCU, http://accu.org