[gdal-dev] sandbox access for non-commiters

Antonio Valentino antonio.valentino at tiscali.it
Thu Oct 6 16:12:35 EDT 2011

Hi Frank,

Il 06/10/2011 20:07, Frank Warmerdam ha scritto:
> On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 11:50 PM, Antonio Valentino
> <antonio.valentino at tiscali.it> wrote:
>> Anyway I think that the possibility of maintaining an official mirror
>> of GDAL on a Git or Mercurial repository should be considered and
>> contributors should be encouraged to use it.
>>
>> Here it is an unofficial mirror
>>
>> https://github.com/mloskot/gdal
>>
>> and a wiki page about the topic on the GDAL trac
>>
>> http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/UsingGitToMaintainGDALWorkflow
>
> Antonio,
>
> If it was to be made "official" it would need an RFC.  I'm
> not sure what the benefit of making it official is.  I will
> note that I am rabidly anti-git for GDAL but I will as always
> bow to the will of the PSC and duely passed RFCs.
>
> Best regards,

The main purpose is not to replace the current VCS but, rather, to make
life easier to potential contributors (that do not have commit access).

Of course, contributors that are not familiar with DVCS can always
submit patches via trac as usual.

Advantages of having an *official* mirror, apart to encourage
contributors to use it, are basically related to the possibility to use
the osgeo infrastructure for synchronization (I'm thinking to a simple
cron job or s commit hook).

regards

--
Antonio Valentino