[gdal-dev] sandbox access for non-commiters

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Fri Oct 7 16:36:55 EDT 2011

On 06/10/11 22:27, Antonio Valentino wrote:
> Il 06/10/2011 23:03, Mateusz Loskot ha scritto:
>> On 06/10/11 21:52, Antonio Valentino wrote:
>>>
>>> The weak point in the workflow is the initial cloning of the svn repo.
>>
>> Indeed, because every developer aiming in the git svn workflow
>> has to do this initial step on his own. AFAIK, there is no way to
>> centralise it.
>
> I'm wondering if there is some way to use a svn dump for the initial
> setup of the git repo.
> The svn dump could be downloaded (in compressed form) via FTP in a way
> that is by far faster than the initial git svn fetch

I have no idea if it is possible.

> Another option is to make available a pre-loaded git repo in compressed
> form.
> Developers that want to use git should download and uncompress the
> pre-loaded repo and re-sync using git-svn for getting last svn commits.

It should be possible.

Here is package of GDAL repo I maintain using "git svn" to
synchronise the Git mirror of GDAL at GitHub:

http://mateusz.loskot.net/tmp/gdal/mloskot-github-gdal-20111007.7z

You should be able to download, unpack, fetch update since the creation
of the package and use it.

Note, the repo is created/managed on Windows, so it's configured
to use CRLF. If you download/use it on Unix, you will have to do:

$ git config core.autocrlf true

otherwise, Git will report all files as changed, thus  "needs update".

Summary

unpack mloskot-github-gdal-20111007.7z
$ cd mloskot-github-gdal-20111007
$ git config core.autocrlf true
$ git svn --authors-file=../gdal-git-authors.txt rebase

At this point, the Git repo is up to date with the upstream in SVN trunk.

Now, you may want to push it to your remote Git repo at GitHub
So, either do:

git push [protocol]://[login]@github.com/mloskot/gdal.git

or add aliased remote [1]:

git remote add [alias] [protocol]://[login]@github.com/denisarnaud/soci.git

where [alias] is short name of your Git remote,
[protocol] is either git or https and [login] is your account at GitHub.
Now, you can push your mirror of GDAL trunk to remote Git repo:

$ git push [alias]

Note, in the mloskot-github-gdal-20111007.7z file I left my update.bat
script. This is the script I use to quickly pull changes from GDAL SVN
trunk and push it to Git at github. Obviously, don't use this script
trying to push to my repo.

[1] http://gitref.org/remotes/

Member of ACCU, http://accu.org