[gdal-dev] sandbox access for non-commiters

Etienne Tourigny etourigny.dev at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 17:05:39 EDT 2011

Just like to update on my recent findings on how you can setup an
environment to be able to commit to the svn repo, and also keep a
separate dev enviroment on github (to work with others)

Mateusz, it would be nice to include your latest instructions on the
wiki page, do you want me to add this stuff as well?

1) Get the entire repo from svn (or use Mateusz's compressed file to
save lots of time)

git svn init --trunk https://svn.osgeo.org/gdal/trunk
git svn --authors-file=/home/src/gdal/git/gdal/gdal-git-authors.txt fetch

2) If needed rebase, and push the entire repo to github (this can take
some time)

git svn --authors-file=/home/src/gdal/git/gdal/gdal-git-authors.txt rebase
git push --all git at github.com:etiennesky/gdal-netcdf

3) Make as many branches as you like and commit them to the git repo
(really fast)

git branch gdal-netcdf-autotest
git checkout gdal-netcdf-autotest
git push git at github.com:etiennesky/gdal-netcdf gdal-netcdf-autotest

4) Commit any changes to the git repo

git commit -m "blabla" .
git push  git at github.com:etiennesky/gdal-netcdf

5) Merge the changes you want into master, and commit to svn (if applicable)

$git checkout master
$git merge gdal-netcdf-autotest
$git svn dcommit -n
Committing to https://svn.osgeo.org/gdal/trunk ...
diff-tree 7edfc78415537dcd98bc141a2c52decadc34647e~1
7edfc78415537dcd98bc141a2c52decadc34647e
diff-tree 1f156cf3e0f055a9d31df422abe7f7c3b2f85348~1
1f156cf3e0f055a9d31df422abe7f7c3b2f85348
$git diff 7edfc78415537dcd98bc141a2c52decadc34647e~1
7edfc78415537dcd98bc141a2c52decadc34647e
... diff output...
$git svn dcommit

Voila!  At least it worked for me...

thanks to Mat and Antonio for their input
Etienne