[gdal-dev] Fwd: gdal_merge.py - Missing images - sans attachment

Chaitanya kumar CH chaitanya.ch at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 18:59:23 EDT 2011

Jay,

The gdal_merge script needs the images to match in the coordinate system and
the number of bands.

One likely problem is could be different data types. Provide the gdalinfo
outputs of the images.

Before you try that, use the gdalbuildvrt program to create a vrt file and
then gdal_translate to convert the vrt file into a single image. The result
is usually the same.

On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 9:12 PM, Jay L. <jzl5325 at psu.edu> wrote:

> Sent with an example attachment, which is awaiting approval.  Here is the
> mail without attachement.
>

>  I have 8 large Gtiffs which I am trying to mosaic.  Tiffs were created
> from .IMG files downloaded from PDS.  I converted to tif using:
>
>         gdal_translate -of GTiff -scale -co "TILED=YES" -co "COMPRESS=JPEG"
> <input>
>
> The format conversion is working without a problem.  Gdalinfo is reporting
> the correct NDV and projection information.  Viewing each tif also returns
> the expected raster iamge.  So far, so good.
>

> I then use:
>
>         gdal_merge.py -o wacmos.tif -of GTiff -v --optfile tiff_list.txt
>

> Six of the eight tiles are added to the mosaic correctly.  Varying the
> order in the list, or using *.tif does not change the output.  It is always
> the same two images which are missing.  Watching the verbose output, it
> looks like the images are mosaicing correctly.  What would cause these
> images to be merged as totally black tiles?
>

> Thanks for any insight,
> Jay

Chaitanya kumar CH.

+91-9494447584