[gdal-dev] PostgreSQL problems

David J. Bakeman dbakeman at comcast.net
Fri Oct 14 15:04:12 EDT 2011

Sorry I was trying to limit the bandwidth I used I figured it was
probably something really stupid and someone would just say you forgot
to XX :<;

Anyway this is a test database so it really is named mydb and I copied
the ogrinfo command from the PostgreSQL driver page for OGR.  I checked
before I started to confirm that the version of gdal I'm using supports
Postgresql and the ogrinfo --formats prints -> "PostgreSQL" (read/write)
so I believe that confirms it.
so both ogrinfo -ro PG:'dbname=mydb' and ogrinfo -ro PG:"dbname='mydb'"
and ogrinfo -ro PG:"dbname='mydb' user='dbakeman' port='5432'" return
the same failure which is to print FAILURE: and a list of drivers which
again includes postgresql.  I skipped the password part because I'm on a
system where I'm happy to run the ident authentication locally at least.

Here's what happens if I do psql -d mydb

\d
                List of relations
  Schema |       Name        | Type  |  Owner
  public | geography_columns | view  | dbakeman
  public | geometry_columns  | table | dbakeman
  public | products_swordxml | table | dbakeman
  public | pxml_points       | view  | dbakeman
  public | spatial_ref_sys   | table | dbakeman
  public | sword_trap        | table | dbakeman

Which is a list of the tables I've created.