[gdal-dev] PostgreSQL problems

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Sat Oct 15 03:50:04 EDT 2011

Le samedi 15 octobre 2011 00:51:01, David J. Bakeman a écrit :
> Thanks Even and everyone else who responded!  It was the fact that I had
> created the tables without registering the geometry column.  I did that
> and now things appear good to go!  That is ogrinfo is successful and
> lists the three tables with geometry.
>
> Perhaps the normal user of ogr is aware that only geometry columns are
> listed

In http://gdal.org/ogr/drv_pg.html,

"""If the geometry_columns table exists (i.e. PostGIS is enabled for the
accessed database), then all tables and named views listed in the
geometry_columns table will be treated as OGR layers."""

> and you get a FAILURE otherwise but perhaps an empty list would
> be better? So I would have gotten:
>   INFO: Open of `PG:dbname=mydb'
>        using driver `PostgreSQL' successful.
>
> Instead of the FAILURE.  I know the structure of the software might not
> make this possible so maybe a Note in the driver page for PostgreSQL?

Actually, the change to just return an empty list has been introduced in GDAL
1.8.0

From the 1.8.0 NEWS :
"""
PostgreSQL driver:
[...]
 * Don't require to have found a layer in readonly mode to succeed in opening
   the datasource.
"""