[gdal-dev] deploying with GDAL libraries

Pouliot, Christopher (DNR) Christopher.Pouliot at state.mn.us
Tue Oct 18 11:49:56 EDT 2011

Hi All,

I'm a C# programmer and new to the Open Source arena.  I'm looking to develop a program that uses GDAL for reading and writing VECTOR data (shapefiles, ESRI file geodatabases, etc) and incorporates the PROJ.4 capabilities for projecting data too.   To this point I've done the following:

Downloaded the File GDB API for Visual Studio (v 1.1) and compiled it
Downloaded the GDAL source (v 1.9.0)
Updated the NMAKE.OPT file to enable the file Geodatabase Plugin
Compiled the GDAL source in Visual Studio 10.
Ran the NMAKE commands to make the interface/C# wrapper files.

So now I've got the OGR_CSHARP.DLL, OSR_CSHARP.DLL, GDAL_CSHARP.DLL files as well as the OGR_FILEGDB.dll ready to go.  My questions are:

1)      What is the best way to incorporate PROJ.4?  Can I simply set the PROJ_LIB environment variable in my application to point to my PROJ.dll location?

2)      What are the bare minimum files I need to incorporate into my application for deployment?

Thanks.

Chris

Chris Pouliot
GIS Application Developer
Minnesota Department of Natural Resources
christopher.pouliot at state.mn.us
(651) 259-5491