[gdal-dev] ESRI products have problems reading gdal spatialreference entry

Yves Jacolin yjacolin at free.fr
Mon Sep 5 10:22:22 EDT 2011

Hello,

I may be wrong but here an answer anyway.

You have in your gdal data dir (/usr/share/gdal17/) a file named
esri_extra.wkt, find the correct code for your projection and try again:
gdal_translate -a_srs esri:<newCode>in.tif out.tif

And test again with ArcMap.

Esri code and EPSG code are slighty different :/

Y.
Le lundi 05 septembre 2011 16:03:43, Schmitz, Uwe a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> some of our customers are complaining that ESRI
> products, eg. ArcMap, can't recognize the
> spatialreference system of GeoTIFF files written
> with gdal_translate.
>
> First I must admit that I don't have ArcMap at
> hand and can't test intensly. But I verified the
> statement with a colleagues instance of ArcMap (V9.3).
>
> To be precise, if I do the following:
>
> gdal_translate -a_srs epsg:25832 in.tif out.tif
>
> ArcMap isn't able to identify the reference system
> of out.tif correctly. Especially if I try to
> reproject the data on-the-fly into another system,
> the right transformation methods are not shown.
>
> If I look into the header data, I see that gdal
> has written "ETRS89 / UTM zone 32N" as the name
> of the crs. Files that ArcMap can identify correctly
> have "ETRS_1989_UTM_Zone_32N" as crs. May be this
> is a reason for misinterpretation?
>
> I wonder, if anyone else has experienced this or
> similar behaviour. And how can I achieve that
> ESRI- *and* gdal-Tools can identify the correct
> reference system.
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Uwe

Yves Jacolin