[gdal-dev] Re: Do we have to know UTM zone a priori to convert to UTM from lat/lon

Matt Funk matze999 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 18:55:22 EDT 2011

On 9/12/2011 4:07 PM, Tim Osborn wrote:
> I should have said that the above equation is valid for longitudes greater
> than or equal to -180.0 and less than +180.0.
I assume it is the same to determine the latitude zone (using 8
degrees). The one thing though are the exceptions (even though I don't
intend to do any computations in those zones) ... . Is it correct then
to assume that gdal has no capabilities to return the zone based on a
given lat/lon pair? As easy as the code you provided is, it seems that
this capability (and the zone exception handling) would be included in
gdal ... .

either way, thanks
matt