[gdal-dev] Re: python script to generate world files

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Tue Sep 13 12:51:14 EDT 2011

 > I don't program but if something goes wrong with ESRI world files it
is the half
 > a pixel shift sometimes needed because the anchor point in the world
file is in
 > the middle of the top-left pixel and some other systems have anchor
point in the
 > top-left corner of the top-left pixel. And the next error is that the
half a
 > pixel shift is increasing the easting value but decreasing the
northing value.

thanks for this extra note Jukka.

R Thiede pointed out there is a qgis gdal-tools plugin which tackles the
same problem. From scanning the commit code it appears to also to some
things with regard to morphing the projection info from WKT to ESRI
format. I don't know if that would take into account this possible pixel
shift or not.
http://linfiniti.com/2011/08/extract-projection-tool-for-qgis/

matt wilkie
Geomatics Analyst