[gdal-dev] ECW writing (was GTiff optimisation)

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Thu Sep 22 13:03:49 EDT 2011

> - The -tr option doesn't work, or I don't understand how to use it :
> $ gdal_edit.py -tr 10 10 France.ecw
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "/usr/share/gdal/samples/gdal_edit.py", line 152, in <module>
>      sys.exit(gdal_edit(sys.argv))
>    File "/usr/share/gdal/samples/gdal_edit.py", line 132, in gdal_edit
>      gt = ds.GetGeoTransform(gt)
> UnboundLocalError: local variable 'gt' referenced before assignment

Thanks for reporting. It should work with r23103

> - gdal_edit reports no error when the parameters are wrong :
> $ gdal_edit.py -mo KJHJKHJKHJ=GKFLLLMM France.ecw

I see nothing wrong here. It is perfectly valid to assign GKFLLLMM to
KJHJKHJKHJ metadata item. gdal_edit.py is meant as being generic, so if the
driver doesn't understand natively the metadata item, this will generally
fallback to storage in .aux.xml file if the driver supports the PAM mechanism.

> - It would be nice if gdal_edit could display the current parameters
> when called without options.

Well, gdalinfo does already do that, so I don't think this is really
necessary.

> - Does gdal_edit work for other file formats, such as GeoTiff ?

Yes, it is driver agnostic. It will work with file formats that support
updating of existing files, so formats that support the Create() method
(advertised by '+' when issuing gdalinfo --formats) , and a few others like
ECW.