[gdal-dev] FYI: SQL Anywhere OGR driver under development

Dave.DeHaan at sybase.com Dave.DeHaan at sybase.com
Thu Sep 29 11:07:43 EDT 2011

Hello GDAL/OGR devs,

I'm a developer at Sybase, working with the SQL Anywhere product.  SQL
Anywhere (SA) is a light-weight but fully-featured RDBMS with particular
strengths in the mobility and embedded markets.  SA version 12 (release in
2010) added spatial support modelled on the OGC/SQLMM standards.

I currently have a University of Waterloo coop student working for me who
is developing an OGR driver for SA 12+, with the intention of contributing
it to the project.  The driver code will be completely self-contained (SA
will not need to be installed in order to compile), so we hope that
packagers will add it to the set of default drivers they compile.

I hope to report back within a few months with a SA driver ready to be
contributed.  In the meantime, thanks in advance for any help you can offer
my coop should he post questions to this list.

Best regards
David E. DeHaan
SQL Anywhere Query Processing team
Sybase, an SAP Company