[gdal-dev] Are unicode field values supported in the Python bindings for GDAL?

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 10:01:08 EDT 2012

For the record,

In the Perl bindings all strings going to GDAL internals are upgraded
from Perl internal format to utf-8 and all strings coming from GDAL
internals are marked for Perl to be utf-8.

This is done in the Perl typemaps after a change last November (#23405).

I don't see a similar problem in the Perl bindings as below. However
utf-8 strings are handled in Python differently from Perl.

Ari