[gdal-dev] Layer operations, a proposal

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Apr 18 14:36:42 EDT 2012

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 7:28 AM, Howard Butler <hobu.inc at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm excited by the functionality, but skeptical about having this specific functionality in OGR's core.  I don't want to be discouraging, but this seems like giant scope creep for OGR.

Howard,

It is scope creep for OGR, though it is a kind of scope creep that
happened long ago for raster with warping, and various other
operations in the alg directory so I don't see a fundamental reason we
shouldn't do some of this for OGR as well.

>It would seem as though there are tons of cases where things would degenerate quite quickly, especially with regard to doing these kinds of operations on data sources that variably support different access patterns.  More bugs about pathological geometry overlay problems would become our responsibility. Also, this functionality already exists in GRASS almost verbatim, correct?

Well, the geometry specific issues should still be GEOSes problem and
OGR isn't an entirely unreasonable place to put stuff that might need
to understand different access patterns for different drivers
(hopefully driving by capabilities and such).