[gdal-dev] Gdaltindex fails

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Mon Apr 23 04:45:44 EDT 2012

Even Rouault

> Selon Jukka Rahkonen <jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi>:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > We moved orthophotos to a new file system and after that
> gdaltindex became
> > very
> > unreliable, actually unusable. It may be a coincidence but
> old file system
> > does
> > not exist any more and I cannot verify if problem is really
> due to the new
> > file
> > storage.
> >
> > What happens now is that only a part of tiff are added to
> the tileindex
> > shapefile. For the rest of tiffs I get mostly this kind of
> error messages
> > Unable to open 431204B.tif, skipping.
> > ERROR 4: `431209D.tif' not recognised as a supported file format.
> >
> > Occasionally I get also lines like this
> > ERROR 1: TIFFFetchDirectory:431404B.tif: Can not read TIFF
> directory count
> > ERROR 1: TIFFReadDirectory:Failed to read directory at
> offset 110179622
> > Unable to open 431404B.tif, skipping.
> >
> > Gdalinfo gives normal output from the failing image files
> and they are also
> > behaving well in WMS service.
> >
> > I were using gdaltindex from FWTools 2.4.2 which I have
> been used some years
> > for
> > this same purpose on the same server without troubles. Any
> advise about where
> > look at the error and how to fix it?
>
> A bit weird that gdaltindex reports errors and not gdalinfo ?
> I assume you are
> using FWTools for both ?
>
> Anyway, FWTools 2.4.2 is obsolete, so I'd encourage you
> trying with a more
> recent build.

I have bunch of scripts using that FWTools package (which does not have a big difference to the last one that exists, 2.4.7) and despite the disk units we have not changed anything. I still had a try with GDAL-dev from gisinternals, compiled at 4/23/2012 5:52 AM. Result is the same with lots of "not recognised as a supported file format" errors but gdalinfo giving a normal report of the same images. The server is running Windows 2003 Server but I do not know details of the new disk unit yet.

-Jukka-