[gdal-dev] FID in a vrt

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Tue Apr 24 03:32:06 EDT 2012

Selon William Kyngesburye <woklist at kyngchaos.com>:

> As I worked on a test case and fiddled around with a few other ideas, I think
> I found the error of my ways.
>
> The computer I was doing the conversion from vrt to PostGIS has GDAL 1.8.  In
> my test case, GDAL 1.9 correctly preserves the FIDs.  Was -preserve_fid
> broken in 1.8?

Not that I'm aware of. -preserve_fid job is pretty stupid. I'd bet more on a
difference in another place, perhaps in the VRT driver.

>  I see the option listed in the help for 1.8, but not
> described (it is described in the 1.9 help).
>
> But, neither version reports the FID column info on a vrt.  Though it does on
> the PostGIS table.

Ah ok, I see what you mean. The VRT driver does not currently report that it
does use the source FID if it is specified. It is a matter of implementing the
GetFIDColumn() method. Would you mind opening a ticket about that ?