[gdal-dev] Detect if a format is raster or grid

Artur Redzko artur.redzko at tatukgis.com
Mon Aug 6 02:10:22 PDT 2012

Hi

I have a project where displaying rasters formats (e.g. bmp) is made in different way than displaying grid formats (e.g. dem). Using GDAL I have a problem with universal detecting whether file opened by GDAL is a grid or raster image. I thought that detecting color interpretation mixed with data type/size and band number would be enough to decide if IsGridImage=True|False but depending on format these values varies. A good example is srtm (16bit grid) and 16bit gray nitf. Do you know a good way to solve this task?

Regards

Artur