[gdal-dev] What should I expect?

Jorge Arevalo jorgearevalo at libregis.org
Fri Aug 10 13:28:34 PDT 2012

Hi,

Many thanks for your response, Martin. So, it doesn't need to be a
mistake. Just a flipped image.

The doubt raised because, for example, gdalbuildvrt doesn't accept ns
positive resolution values. Looking at this old ticket
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/3432, seems that that kind of raster
data can't be mosaiced. You get an error. I don't understand why.

I know cartesian coordinate system sets the origin in the bottom left
corner, while images set the origin in the top left  corner. So, the
ns resolution of a georeferenced image is negative. Otherwise, you get
a south up image. But... if all the images you want to mosaic have
this "problem" (positive ns resolution), why I can't mosaic them using
gdalbuiltvrt?

Best regards,
Jorge

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 6:09 PM, Martin Chapman <chapmanm at pixia.com> wrote:
> Jorge,
>
> It's a south up image.  If the gsd x value is negative the image is an
> east to west image.  Normally a north up image will have a positive gsd x
> and a negative gsd y.
>
> Marty

Jorge Arevalo
http://www.libregis.org