[gdal-dev] Access SVN revision number from runtime?

Roger Bivand Roger.bivand at nhh.no
Thu Aug 16 00:50:27 PDT 2012

gcore/gdal_version.h gives us the hard-wired compile-time version string.
GDALVersionInfo("--version") gives us the version known by the runtime. We can
use GDALCheckVersion() to check that the two match (in rgdal/R). But is the SVN
revision number exposed in the same way? A rgdal user on OpenSUSE has reported
problems writing GTiff which turned out to stem from updates to the shared
object having moved things leading to "Failure during IO":
http://ssrebelious.blogspot.no/2012/08/rgdal-crash-solved.html. I think that the
packagers may have been rolling their updates forward, so I'd like to provide a
more fine-grained GDALCheckVersion() which also accesses the SVN revision. Is
this possible (or sensible)?

Thanks,

Roger