[gdal-dev] Problem re-projecting shapefile by using ogr2ogr

deb otrov at hush.ai
Wed Dec 12 17:36:39 PST 2012

You are right. What I wrote doesn't make any sense. It just solved my initial problem, which blinded me to think that I solved my more general problem, and that is how to deal with all these projections and reference systems. I'm very new to GIS

New ground control point feature solved my problem, but also `-a_srs` switch could have solved it the same way, as I apparently didn't needed re-projecting but just assigning new projection.

My initial problem was that I was working in one projection, and then wanted to check the result in different projection (physical google maps)
Any use of `-t_srs` switch did change to shapefile itself, but vector did not overlay as coordinates were different.
What -gcp switch did, and even more simpler `-a_srs` does, is just change .prj file from shapefile, while shapefile itself is intact. Result seems correct and I take it as is, until I understand how projections and reference systems works.

Cheers