[gdal-dev] Problem re-projecting shapefile by using ogr2ogr

deb otrov at hush.ai
Thu Dec 13 01:48:36 PST 2012

Thanks for your reply, Stefano

>There is no PROJCS as your target SRS is a geographic one. Indeeed
>you can see the GEOGCS label.

I think I understand what you are saying. If specific SRS has WGS84 system then there is no projection.

> EPSG:31227 is not only deprecated, it was removed from EPSG
>database, looking at epsg-registry.org I can't find it.
>Anyway as the WKT states is a Transverse Mercator flavour the
>extent sounds quite strange to me.
>
>May be it is EPSG:3909?

This projection is indexed at SR: http://spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/31277/
I'm tracing old military topological map which was printed in that projection. I'm doing this mainly because I want to learn about GIS by practice and there isn't public data at that level of details available. Indeed I think I learned about a lot of tools and terms, but obviously projections and geographic systems did confuse me from the start.

>For a gentle introduction to SRS, maps and projections you may
>have a look at
>
>http://www.progonos.com/furuti/MapProj/Normal/TOC/cartTOC.html

Thanks, I'll look closely just after I send this message