[gdal-dev] On compiling Proj4: Why does checkinstall complain about --pkgname?

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Sun Dec 30 04:05:43 PST 2012

Hi!

(apologies for cross-posting)

I am trying to get a grip on the use of checkinstall in compiling Proj4, GEOS,
GDAL.  My long-term goal is to build a (custom) script to automate the
compilation of the above plus GRASS, plus GDAL's GRASS-driver plugin.

In general, checkinstall builds and isntalls the above just fine (I guess!).
However, I wonder why several parameters are not read correctly.  I am in the
testing-phase, feeding checkinstall with parameters, e.g.

# manually instruct checkinstall
src/proj$ sudo checkinstall -D --maintainer=nik at nikosalexandris.net --
pkgname=proj4 --pkgversion=`date +%F` -A "amd64" --pkglicense "MIT License,
Copyright (c) 2000, Frank Warmerdam" --pkgsource "/geo/osgeo/src/proj/" --
pkgaltsource "http://svn.osgeo.org/metacrs/proj/branches/4.8/proj/" --provides
"proj48" --replaces "proj-bin" --gzman --strip=no --stripso=no --
pakdir=$HOME/src/checkinstall_pakdir --deldoc=yes --deldesc=yes --delspec=yes
--backup=no

The outcome is:

--%<---
checkinstall 1.6.2, Copyright 2009 Felipe Eduardo Sanchez Diaz Duran
           This software is released under the GNU GPL.

/usr/bin/checkinstall: eval: line 553: syntax error near unexpected token `('
/usr/bin/checkinstall: eval: line 553: `echo MIT License, Copyright (c) 2000,
Frank Warmerdam'

**** Debian package creation selected ***

*** Warning: The package name "%PACKAGE_NAME" contains upper case
*** Warning: letters. dpkg might not like that so I changed
*** Warning: them to lower case.

*** Warning: The package name "%package_name" does not start with
*** Warning: an alphanumetic character. dpkg might not like that so I prefixed
*** Warning: it with a number 0.

*** Warning: The package name "0%package_name" contains illegal
*** Warning: characters. dpkg might not like that so I changed
*** Warning: them to dashes.

*** Warning: The package version "%PACKAGE_VERSION" is not a
*** Warning: debian policy compliant one. Please specify an alternate one
--->%--

I press "Enter" here and then:

--%<---
This package will be built according to these values:

0 -  Maintainer: [ nik at nikosalexandris.net ]
1 -  Summary: [ Cartographic projection software ]
2 -  Name:    [ 0-package-name ]
3 -  Version: [  ]
4 -  Release: [ 1 ]
5 -  License: [ MIT License, Copyright (c) 2000, Frank Warmerdam ]
6 -  Group:   [ Applications/GIS ]
7 -  Architecture: [ amd64 ]
8 -  Source location: [ /geo/osgeo/src/proj/ ]
9 -  Alternate source location: [
http://svn.osgeo.org/metacrs/proj/branches/4.8/proj/ ]
10 - Requires: [  ]
11 - Provides: [ 0-package-name ]
12 - Conflicts: [  ]
13 - Replaces: [ proj-bin ]

Enter a number to change any of them or press ENTER to continue:
--->%--

Grepping some stuff lead me to the proj.spec file.  Stuff like "%PACKAGE_NAME"
and "%PACKAGE_VERSION" are obviously not meant for bash, right?  Why does
checkinstall picks this up?  What is the correct way to use checkinstall here?

Thank you, Nikos