[gdal-dev] PostGIS SRID conundrum

Martin Chapman chapmanm at pixia.com
Fri Feb 10 18:25:59 EST 2012

I know this question isn't exactly related to GDAL but I thought someone
on the list might be able to answer this question.

So, I have a shape file that has the following spatial reference:

PROJCS["Orthographic",GEOGCS["GCS_WGS_1984",DATUM["D_WGS_1984",SPHEROID["W
GS_1984",6378137,298.257223563]],PRIMEM["Greenwich",0],UNIT["Degree",0.017
453292519943295]],PROJECTION["Orthographic"],PARAMETER["Latitude_Of_Center
",40],PARAMETER["Longitude_Of_Center",-75],PARAMETER["false_easting",0],PA
RAMETER["false_northing",0],UNIT["User Defined",1]]

It was generated using OGR.  I want to insert it into postgres / postgis
but there is no direct match for the wkt or proj4 definition in the
spatial_ref_sys table.  So, I go to insert it into the table but the
question arises, what SRID do I use?  Do I just fudge a random one with a
high enough value that I hope it won't conflict with some other SRID in
the future, or do I create a table based off of the heterogeneous list of
SRIDs at spatialreference.org and insert from that?  I would like to do
the later but that will be a pain unless someone has a put together a
batch insert sql file for all the projections on spatialreference.org.
Still, there is always the possibility that I may run into one that isn't
defined and I will have to fudge my own number anyway.

Question:  What is the best way to handle this?  I wish the
spatial_ref_sys table came with all the ESRI and other SRID definitions.

Suggestions are much appreciated!

Best regards,

Martin