[gdal-dev] Convert ECW to TIFF

CRIGE PACA - Veille Technique veille.technique at crige-paca.org
Fri Feb 17 05:49:47 EST 2012

Hi,

The new versions of ECW SDK is only available on Windows (4.0 to 4.2).
The ReadOnly Windows version is free and Read/Write Windows version
(desktop and server) is profitable. I believe that there is a project of
porting SDK on Linux but it's not currently available
(http://field-guide.blogspot.com/2011/07/erdas-ecwjp2-sdk-for-linux.html) and
we don't know the coming licensing policy.

If you want to convert ECW to tif+worldfile on Linux, you need to
recompile gdal agaisnt the 3.3 ECW library (which is no longer
maintained by ERDAS since 2007). Be carreful, I noted a suspect
behaviour of this library under Linux (I will send a post this week-end
on this subject with more details). If you want, I believe you can find
ubuntu binaries of this library here :
http://geomatips.blogspot.com/2010/09/mise-jour-paquet-ecw-pour-ubuntu.html
(french website)

At last, in order to get georeferencing informations embedded in ECW
file, you can use the DATUM, UNITS**and PROJ options
(http://www.gdal.org/frmt_ecw.html - code defintion are contained in
ecw_cs.wkt file) or/and assign an EPSG code with -a_srs option in
GDAL_TRANSLATE.

Hope to help...

Best regards

Sylvain