[gdal-dev] Using SWIG from a Driver

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Wed Feb 22 10:13:57 EST 2012

Selon Michael Speth <spethm at landcareresearch.co.nz>:

> Greetings GDAL devs,
>    I am interested in developing a GDAL driver that calls out to a Java
> library that accesses a database that we are developing using SWIG's
> Java Bindings.  Are there any examples of existing GDAL drivers using
> the SWIG bindings?

Not that I am aware of, and not in GDAL source tree for sure.

> If not, how might I use the SWIG library from a new
> GDAL driver?
>
> I've noticed there are 2 usages of Java from a GDAL driver.  Frank
> pointed out to me (ogr/ogrsf_frmts/ili) and mdb (ogr/ogrsf_frmts/mdb).
> Both of these driver's use JNI.  The reason I want to use SWIG is to
> avoid having to deal with the added configuration of JNI (since SWIG
> handles that already).

I'm not sure if you can call Java code with SWIG. Perhaps, but that's perhaps
more a question for a SWIG mailing list. I don't see how the code of the GDAL
SWIG bindings could help you since you will use a dedicated API for your Java
library.