[gdal-dev] Re: learning GDAL with C/C++

joseph.nalluri joseph.nalluri at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 22:12:21 EST 2012

Frank Warmerdam wrote

> Joseph,
>
> I'd start with http://www.gdal.org/gdal_tutorial.html, the general purpose
> API tutorial.  It isn't comprehensive, but I think it is fairly good for
> the
> areas covered.
>
> Note that GDAL does not directly help with distributed processing.  I
> assume this is what you mean by running on a cluster.  You could
> take care of farming out chunks yourself or have each process on the
> cluster use GDAL to read chunks, but be cautious about writing to
> one file from multiple processes.
>
> Best regards,
> Frank
>
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 11:50 AM, joseph.nalluri
> <joseph.nalluri@> wrote:
>> Hello All,
>>
>>  I am very pleased to find this forum. This is my first post. Please bear
>> with me. In my project, I am trying to read in .bil file (hyperspectral
>> image) into my C/C++ code. ( I haven't done this yet, because I am still
>> trying to see, how can I do it).
>>  After I read in, I run some image processing algorithms on it and
>> perform
>> this on a cluster. Is there a good tutorial/guide on this aspect, which
>> could help me out.
>>  Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am just starting out on this.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Joseph
>>
>> --
>

> --

Thanks.
I have a .bil file with an associated .hdr file with metadata. Do I have to
read in the .hdr file and manually prepare the variables or is there a
specified function? I could not find much info. about .hdr file.
I am not sure what should the values be for pixel height and pixel width. I
am using a 16 bit resolution camera.
Can you advise me on what steps I need to undertake when creating a C prog
which would be inputted with a .bil file?

Sincerely,
Joseph