[gdal-dev] Switching from ArcGIS to GDAL

jgamble jgamble3 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 13:21:11 EST 2012

Hi All,

I've recently been tasked to cache several large imagery datasets using
ArcGIS and have found that my bottleneck has been generating overviews for
the datasets prior to caching.  ArcGIS appears to be limiting itself to a
single core while building overviews, which seems ridiculous on a 12 core
machine ... which is why I am here for some help.

I am using mosaic datasets in ArcGIS to manage my images.  Footprints for
the images have been created to clip out any bounding black pixels.  Am I
able to define overviews in ArcGIS and then use GDAL to build them with
multiple cores ... Or at least utilize the footprints I've already defined
in my mosaic dataset?  Does GDAL have something similar to a mosaic dataset
to manage images that I should be using?

I'm extremely new to the thought of using GDAL, so any advice on how to go
about utilizing it or at least pointing me in the right direction to some
tutorials is much appreciated.

Thanks
Jon.