[gdal-dev] Re: Meaning of origin in JP2GML

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Wed Feb 29 07:28:45 EST 2012

Jukka Rahkonen <jukka.rahkonen <at> mmmtike.fi> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Is there one, valid and unambiguous interpretation about what the
"origin" means
> in JPEG2000 OGC-GML style metadata?

I found from my own archives a document with title "Storing Geo-Location
Metadata in JPEG 2000 files using the OpenGIS GML Standard" by fellows Simon
Cope (Earth Resource mapping Ltd.), David Taubman (Kakadu Software), Klaus Jung
(AlgoVision-LuraTech GmbH.), Guillaume de Bailliencourt (Morgan Multimedia) and
Ivan Fox (Yakoa). The document has been available from the ER Mapper web site
but it is gone with the company.

In that document reads
"The origin element is required, shall have an id of "JPEG2000_Origin", and the
Point specifies the coordinate of the bottom-left corner of the bottom-left cell
in the image".

OGC has obviously dropped the JPEG2000_Origin id and requirement of bottom-left
corner. Whatever has happened to origin being in the corner of the corner cell,
it makes it more understandable that a successor of one of the above mentioned
companies seems to use it.

-Jukka Rahkonen-