[gdal-dev] gdal2tiles with WMS as source?

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Wed Jan 4 13:31:45 EST 2012

Le mercredi 04 janvier 2012 13:28:08, Ari Jolma a écrit :
> A question:
>
> I have a WMS set up, which visualizes a certain vector dataset. I would
> like to create tiles for a tiled WMS from the WMS. gdal2tiles can be
> used to create tiles from a raster datasource, but apparently not from a
> WMS(?) or can it? How could I make it to use a WMS as the source?

Ari

I'm not very familiar with gdal2tiles, but why couldn't it use WMS as a source
? If you set up correctly the XML description file like described in
http://gdal.org/frmt_wms.html then it should be considered as a valid GDAL
raster. The only point of doubt I have is the performance.

Best regards,

Even