[gdal-dev] How to build python bindings on windows?

Joaquim Luis jluis at ualg.pt
Sun Jan 8 17:06:28 EST 2012

> Generally, to build Python extensions on Widnows, you need to use the same
> version of MSVC that was used to compile your Python binary. For python 2.6, I
> believe that the provided binaries are compiled with MSVC 2008 for example.
> See http://bugs.python.org/issue5235
>
> If you have not that version, then you can probably hack distutils script to
> convince them to use whatever version of MSVC you have. Or you can rebuild
> python with the msvc version you have.

Yes, I had read about that versions issue, but I was expecting some
error to guide me. As is, it's very annoying because the build request
is completely ignored. No errors, no warnings. Just nothing.
I tried now with setting those 2 environmental variables as suggested on
the bug report, that is

set DISTUTILS_USE_SDK=1
set MSSdk=1

and now the direct call to "setup.py build" goes a bit further, but not
that much

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\bin\mt.exe -nologo
-manifest
build\temp.win32-2.6\Release\extensions\_gdalconst.pyd.manifest
-outputresource:build\lib.win32-2.6\osgeo\_gdalconst.pyd;2

build\temp.win32-2.6\Release\extensions\_gdalconst.pyd.manifest :
general error c1010070: Failed to load and parse the manifest. The
system cannot find the file specified.
error: command 'mt.exe' failed with exit status 31

manifests again. That's why I hate     2005 <= VS <= 2009

> I'm not sure what Tamas did with its SDKs ( http://vbkto.dyndns.org/sdk/ :
> seems to be down just now ) where he manages to provide the Python bindings on
> various MSVC versions.

I have one here based on gdal18dev that was build with VS10 and depends
on python2.6