[gdal-dev] Are these WFS issues worth filing tickets?

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Mon Jan 9 07:27:32 EST 2012

Selon Jukka Rahkonen <jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi>:

> Hi,
>
> Should I file tickets about these findings:
>
> - It seems to be difficult to send valid attribute queries with GDAL WFS
> driver
> from Windows computers if attribute values contain non-ASCII characters.

This is a more general issue than with the OGR WFS driver. This is common to all
command line utilities. Perhaps worth a ticket indeed.

> - Doing "ogrinfo -al -so" for getting basic information about a WFS server is
> sending getFeature requests for all the feature types in the whole service.
> It
> means that ogrinfo is trying to fetch just evything from the server. It may
> cause some troubles if WFS server is holding lots of data.

You can mitigate that by adding MAXFEATURES=xxx . For example :

ogrinfo -al -so "WFS:http://myserver.com/service/wfs?MAXFEATURES=xxx". The
MAXFEATURES parameter will be passed to GetFeature requests. This is somehow
documented in the "Dataset name syntax" of http://gdal.org/ogr/drv_wfs.html :

"""
The minimal syntax to open a WFS datasource is : WFS:http://path/to/WFS/service
or http://path/to/WFS/service?SERVICE=WFS

Additionnal optional parameters can be specified such as TYPENAME, VERSION,
MAXFEATURES as specified in WFS specification.
"""