[gdal-dev] FYI - embedding overviews into read only file

Martin Chapman chapmanm at pixia.com
Mon Jan 9 21:03:14 EST 2012

Frank,

It just dawned on me that yesterday I used the following code to open a
raster file like so:

mDataSource = (GDALDataset*) GDALOpen(filePath.c_str(), GA_ReadOnly);

And then used the GDALDefaultOverviews class to embed some overviews into
the file.  Shouldn't the API prevent that if I opened the file as read
only?  I initialized the default overviews class using the dataset
pointer.  I am using GDAL 1.8.1. .  I used the BuildOverviews() method of
the default overviews class to execute the process.

Best regards

Martin