[gdal-dev] gdalwarp makes landcover files blocky when shrinking pixel size

John Twilley mathuin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 18:39:50 EST 2012

I am working with elevation and landcover data downloaded from the
USGS.  I use gdalwarp to convert the data to a much smaller pixel. The
elevation data works very nicely with cubic resampling, but the only
resampling that works at all for the landcover data is
nearest-neighbor and that's very blocky.  When I last worked with
landcover data, I used a majority algorithm which produced smoother
output -- but that algorithm is not implemented in gdalwarp.
I am looking over the source to gdalwarp to see how hard it is to add
a new algorithm.  Other than that, though, what options are available
to me?  Thanks in advance!
Jack.--
mathuin at gmail dot com