[gdal-dev] writing encoding into GPX files

Pouliot, Christopher (DNR) Christopher.Pouliot at state.mn.us
Tue Jan 31 06:52:26 EST 2012

Hello all,

I'm writing GPX files with OGR and the documentation states:  "The content returned by OGR will be encoded in UTF-8, after the conversion from the encoding mentionned in the file header is."

When my GPX file is written out it does not include the  encoding="UTF-8" in the head tag.  Is there a way to have it be written?
This is what I get:  <?xml version="1.0"?>
This is what I'd like:  <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

I'm using GPSBabel to upload these GPX files to GPS units and it is not reading my GPX files unless the encoding is specified.

Thanks!

Chris

Chris Pouliot
GIS Application Developer
Minnesota Department of Natural Resources
christopher.pouliot at state.mn.us
(651) 259-5491